As it is Pancake Tuesday, today has to be about the top ten pancake toppings.
We all have different tastes so I am sure you will find one to suit yours:
- Lemon and Sugar – the old ones are the best. But do not buy those nasty plasty squirty lemons, it has to be real lemons, or if you want a slightly different twist, substitute the lemon for lime. It works in my gin and tonic!
- Nutella – Achill Island is my favourite place on the planet and I particularly love the crepe van down beside Keel Beach, this is mu go to crepe and obviously everyone else’s too as he always has literally hundreds of super size jars.
- Maple Syrup – Patrick’s choice when I asked them all. His favourite food is porridge and he loves it swimming in honey, but for his pancakes he likes to change it up a bit.
- Marshmallows and Melted Chocolate – we’re obviously a healthy bunch in our house as this was Saoirse’s choice. I blame my friend Sheila for introducing her to this sugar fest. It’s even a bit too sweet for me, which is saying something.
- Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries and Banana – Erin saved us all with her 5 a day choice. You could even whizz it up as a smoothie! She is particularly excited for pancake day this year, as her gorgeous teacher is teaching them Irish by having her class set up a Siopa Pancóga (Pancake Shop), where they all have to place their order in Irish. You can’t beat learning through play.
- Smashed Avacado and Poached Egg – hipster food is everywhere at the moment, so why should pancakes be any different and I have a 4 pack of avacados I bought in Aldi Super Six that I need to use up!
- Greek Yoghurt and Honey – for those that like their pancakes gooey.
- Quesadilla Pancakes – with melted cheese, jalapenos, salsa, refried beans. Anything at all if you like your pancakes spicy.
- Ice cream and caramel sauce – because it isn’t cold enough at the moment! Who can resist an ice-cream sundae of the pancake world.
- Breakfast Pancakes – If you are planning on a full day of pancake celebrations, then add in some sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, eggs – I would probably leave out the hashbrowns to avoid carb overload. But don’t forget the brown sauce.
Flipping heck (get it!) That’s quite a list and I am sure you’ll find something on there to tickle your taste buds. Post a few of your own interesting choices, I’m always interested in trying something new.
Happy Pancake Day